Thursday, October 4, 2007

Butterfly House at Silver Beach

I took my one year old son to the Butterfly House at Silver Beach in St Joseph, Michigan. Unfortunately, this was the closing weekend (September 30th)

Next year when the exhibit comes through again, I will repost this suggestion.

The Butterfly House was on the grounds of the Silver Beach Carousal Museum. They have some of the original pieces from the carousel on display. We enjoyed looking in the fun house mirrors. I'm not sure exactly what was so entertaining to my son but he was laughing alot.

There is not a baby changing station in the restroom but there is a large handicap restroom that can fit a stroller. There is also a long counter. In these situations, I recline the seat of my Graco stroller and use that as a changing surface.

After an al fresco diaper change we dined at the picnic tables. We then went into the Butterfly Exhibit. Because my son is very interested in birds and likes to point, I pointed out the flying butterflies and continued pointing to them as they flew around. He practiced his pointing and laughed alot. Many of the buttlerflies came close to us. This kept my son's interest for almost 30 minutes. There were also other young children visiting the exhibit which kept his attention.

After the butterflies, we took a walk around the corner to Silver Beach. We watched the motor and sail boats come in and out of the harbor. Some cruisers had their dogs on their boats. My son was having a good time mimicing the sound of the motors as the boats went by. There were a few children on the sail boats and many people waving to us as we waved.

From there we had a snack and watched the children on the beach. There are several gyms in the sand and there were lots of children out that day. There were also alot of people out walking there dogs.

This was a very enjoyable trip for my son. He slept well on the way home and slept really well that night after all the fresh air and sunshine.

There is a Children's Museum in the area but we did not check it out.

No comments: